With the advent of summer jumping, National Hunt racing isn’t far off being a year-round sport these days. It is in the month of March that the season really reaches a crescendo though with the annual Cheltenham Festival. There’s not a bad race to be found at this meeting, but for many there is one contest which stands above all the rest. One of the most iconic and historic racing events of the season, the Cheltenham Gold Cup continues to enthrall racing fans. We are already looking forward to Cheltenham Gold Cup day in 2019, and here we have compiled a quick guide to the race, including Cheltenham Gold Cup betting info, Cheltenham Gold Cup betting offers and a look back at those Gold Cup runners and riders to have come out on top in recent years.
Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credit stake. T&Cs, time limits and exclusions apply.
New UK and Ireland Customers Only. Min Deposit: £/€10. First Deposit matched up to £/€30. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Credit Card, Debit Card & PayPal deposits only. Additional Terms Apply
18+. UK+IRE only. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first bet £10 a odds 1/2 or more. Tote and Pool excluded. Must be placed within 14 days of account reg. £30 credited as 3 x £10 free bets. Not valid with CashOut. Free bet valid for 7 days. Free bet stake not returned. 18+ T&Cs Apply.
18+. UK+IRE only. T&Cs apply.
18+. New customers only. Terms and conditions apply. Eligibility requirements apply
18+,New Customers only £10 min Deposit. First Wager at 1/1 or higher matched 50% up to £50. Mobile only. Exclusions apply. begamblingaware.org
18+. UK+IRE only. Promo code 'G30' required. Min first bet £10. Must be placed within 14 days of account reg. £30 credited as 3 x £10 free bets. Not valid with CashOut. Free bet valid for 4 days.T&Cs Apply.
Cheltenham Gold Cup General Info
It may not be the richest jumps race of the year – although with £600,000+ on offer, the prize money is not to be sniffed at – but there is little doubt that in terms of quality the Cheltenham Gold Cup is the very best National Hunt event of the season. Run over a stamina sapping 3m2½f, with 22 fences to be safely negotiated, it is a contest which really lends itself to drama and heroic performances. A race isn’t born with the reputation and prestige bestowed upon the Cheltenham Gold Cup though. These things comes with time and are largely down to the equine stars to have etched their names onto the list of previous Cheltenham Gold Cup winners. The likes of Arkle, Desert Orchid, Best Mate, Denman and Kauto Star were all horses whose fame transcended the sport, and all were amongst the greatest winners in Cheltenham Gold Cup history. From a betting angle it is also one of the events which most preoccupies the minds of punters, with talk of possible Cheltenham Gold Cup horses and Gold Cup betting cropping up from an early stage. So when is the Cheltenham Gold Cup? And what is the Gold Cup race time? Always run as the feature race on the fourth and final day of the Festival, Friday 15th March at 3:30pm is the Cheltenham Gold Cup 2019 date for the diary.
Gold Cup Betting Offers
When a race is as popular and so high profile as the Cheltenham Gold Cup, one thing you can be sure of is that it will attract its fair share of interest from the bookies in terms of special offers and promotions. That can only be a good thing for punters when looking at the Cheltenham Gold Cup betting in 2019. The Cheltenham Festival is a good time of the year for offers in general, but there will likely be a number of specials available specifically related to the Cheltenham Gold Cup 2019 betting markets. Those looking to get involved early in the Gold Cup 2019 betting – or indeed the festival in general -should keep an eye out for the non runner no bet offer. Often available from as early as January, this takes the risk out of ante post betting. Unlike with a standard ante post bet, a bet under the non runner no bet conditions means you will receive your stake back should your selection not be amongst the Gold Cup runners in 2019 on the day of the race. Other than non runner no bet, what else can we expect? Well if past festivals are anything to go by, we should be in for a deluge of money back specials, enhanced odds and free bets surrounding the Cheltenham Gold Cup race. Be sure to check out our Cheltenham Betting Offers page for the full details of all those sportsbook promotions as the event approaches and the attention of the racing world turns ever more to the horses running in the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
Betting On The Gold Cup
Anyone looking to buy into the excitement of a Cheltenham Gold Cup bet will certainly be spoilt for choice when it comes to where to take their business. We can’t think of many – if any – bookmakers who don’t offer betting on one of the most famous horse races in the world. So how to choose between them? Well, there are a few things to consider:
- Read reviews: One of the key things to look for when weighing up your options is an excellent existing reputation. This is where review sites can come in particularly useful. Highlighting the pros and cons of a site, they will give a good idea as to the type of customer experience you can expect, as well as helping you steer clear of any providers who may have regulatory or security issues.
- Check odds: The main product of a bookmaker is the odds that they offer. Clearly as a customer you would like these odds to be amongst the best and most competitive available. Odds comparison websites are an excellent guide as to how the various firms measure up.
- Check Promotions: Choice and competition is nearly always a good thing for the customer, and one of the main resulting benefits in the betting world comes through the multitude of excellent promotions on offer. Whether it’s free bets or a deposit bonus you are looking for, be sure to shop around to find the offer which most suits your preferences. But remember you don’t have to stick to just the one bookie.
- Check live streaming options: Having placed those Cheltenham bets, you are most likely to want to watch the action unfold. There are many sportsbooks which offer a live streaming service on the Cheltenham Festival, so be sure your selected bookie ticks this box if this feature is high on your wish list.
Types of Bets
Having looked at a few of the key factors when it comes to selecting a bookmaker, let’s now take a look at a couple of bet types for your consideration when looking ahead to Gold Cup day 2019.
- Ante Post Betting: With Ante Post betting there’s no need to wait until the day of the race to get those bets on. For the Cheltenham Festival, including the Cheltenham Gold Cup, it will be possible to place a bet months in advance of the race. See our Cheltenham ante post article for more information.
- Each Way Betting: Remember, you don’t always need to back the winner of a race in order to generate a profit. A win bet on the Cheltenham Gold Cup favourite can often seem the most sensible option, but there may be better value available elsewhere in the Gold Cup line up. An each way bet will deliver a return should your horse finish in the placed positions. This type of bet is effectively two bets i.e. a bet of £1 each way would cost £2 in total. The first of these bets is a straightforward bet on the horse to win the race, this will be paid out at the full odds taken. The second bet is a bet on the horse to finish placed, this bet will be paid out at either 1/4 or 1/5 of the odds taken, depending upon the conditions of the race. The number of placed positions also varies, depending upon the number of runners and the type of race. Make sure you are aware of the place terms for the race on which you are betting prior to placing your bet.
Gold Cup Past Winners – 2018 & 2017
Each and every year the Cheltenham Gold Cup never fails to provide one of the most abiding memories of the whole Cheltenham Festival. Here we provide a Cheltenham Gold Cup review from the past two editions of the race.
Chelteham Gold Cup Results 2018
- 1st Native River, ridden by Richard Johnson
- 2nd Might Bite, ridden by Nico de Boinville
- 3rd Anibale Fly, ridden by Barry Geraghty
The 2018 edition saw one of the all-time classic head to head contests in this great race. Locked in battle almost from the word go, it soon became clear that the finish here would involve only Native River and Might Bite. The question was would it be the class of the smooth travelling Might Bite, or the sheer toughness of Native River which would win the day? In the end it was the latter, as given an equally determined ride by Champion Jockey Richard Johnson, Native River finally broke Might Bite’s resistance in the closing stages. Anibale Fly – who later went on to place in the Grand National – ran on for third.
Cheltenham Gold Cup Results 2017
- 1st Sizing John, ridden by Robbie Power
- 2nd Minella Rocco, ridden by Noel Fehily
- 3rd Native River, ridden by Richard Johnson
Having spent the majority of his outings in Grade 1 contests chasing after the superstar Douvan over two miles, it seemed that Sizing John was destined to be the bridesmaid and never the bride. He didn’t look the most obvious of future Gold Cup winners at that stage in his career. Trainer Jessica Harrington clearly saw something in him though and the step up to staying trips certainly worked the oracle. In addition to this race, he also took the Irish Gold Cup and Punchestown Gold Cup in what was a stellar season. Previously a winner over four miles at this meeting, Jonjo O’Neill’s Minella Rocco was unsurprisingly doing all his best work late and grabbed second. Colin Tizzard’s Native River filled third spot – but just twelve months later it would be his name which was up in lights at the end of this event.
Backing any winner at the Cheltenham Festival is undoubtedly a satisfying experience. Placing a bet on the winner of the biggest race of them all is nevertheless a little extra special, be it via an ante post punt or a bet on the day; with you own funds or via a free bet offer. Hopefully this guide will serve to assist those of you looking to get involved in all the thrills, spills and excitement of the Cheltenham Festival Gold Cup; undoubtedly one of the greatest horse racing spectacles in the world. So pencil that Cheltenham Gold Cup date in the diary and keep your eyes peeled for the likely Cheltenham Gold Cup runners and riders in the build up to the race.