A Grade 1 National Hunt hurdle race, it is contested over a distance of two miles and five furlongs with no less than 10 hurdles standing between the starting pack and a champion. The first winner of this prize was Midsprite for Macer Gifford and Harry Thomson Jones back in 1971 and we’ve witnessed some memorable champions over the years. The honours role includes Danoli, French Holly, Galileo, Hardy Eustace and Faugheen.
Envoi Allen won 12 months ago. Who will come out on top this year? In this article we detail everything you need to know before placing a bet on the Ballymore Novices Hurdle 2021. We focus on past winners, antepost favourites, stats and even offer a handy betting guide designed to help you beat the bookies.
BALLYMORE NOVICES HURDLE INFO
Best Ballymore Novices Hurdle 2021 Offers (Upd: 14/03/2021
For new and existing customers
What you get
- £5 free bet on the Supreme Novices Hurdle - Tuesday (March 16th), 13:20
- £5 free bet on the Ballymore Novices Hurdle - Wednesday (March 17th), 13:20
- £5 free bet on any race at Cheltenham on Thursday (March 18th)
18+.Play Safe. 3 x Bet Boosts singles to use across horse racing and greyhound per customer, per day. Available daily from 00:01 until 23:59. Max stake £20 win or £20 EW. On EW bets, only "win" part boosted. Online only. Player restrictions & terms apply. Full T&Cs apply.
PLUS BET £10 GET £30 FOR NEW CUSTOMERS
Welcome Offer T&Cs: 18+.Play Safe. New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below.
Bet 1. £20 on a single and get a £5 Free Bet
Bet 2. £20 on a double and get a £5 Free Bet
Bet 3. £20 on a treble and get a £10 Free Bet
Bet 4. £20 on a 4-fold and get a £10 Free Bet
Bet 5. £20 on a 5-fold+ and get a £20 Free Bet
PLUS MONEY BACK SECOND ON 2ND RACE EVERY DAY & NON RUNNER NO BET
Key Terms: New customers only. Place the 5 specified bets to earn Free Bets. Each leg must have minimum odds of 1.8 (4/5). Applies to bets on sport only. Valid once per customer. Free Bet valid for 7 days. Free Bet max winnings is 20x Free Bet stake. Free Bets must be accepted in popup messages once their qualifying bets have settled.
Back a horse in one of the eligible races, and should it finish 2nd, Betfred will refund your stake as a Free Bet up to £10! Qualifying bet must be placed from 5pm the day before the race. Full T&Cs apply.
- Supreme Novices Hurdle (13:20 16/03/21)
- Ballymore Novices Hurdle (13:20 17/03/21)
- Ryanair Chase (14:30 18/03/21)
- Triumph Hurdle (13:20 19/03/21)
If the horse you back finishes 2nd to the SP favourite, BoyleSports will refund your stake up to £/€20 as a Free Bet. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Bet type restrictions apply. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/ante post bets don't qualify. Unnamed 2nd Favs don't qualify. 18+, full T&Cs apply.
Ballymore Novices Hurdle 2021 Odds
Odds are updated every 2 hours. Please check odds on the operator’s website before placing a bet.
Best Ballymore Novices Hurdle Betting Sites
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply,
*18+. UK Customers (Excluding NI) only. Cash stakes only. Min £10 stake required for initial £5 free bet. Min odds ½. Max £25 in free bets. Subsequent free bets equal 50% average of each 3 qualifying bets. 13 bets required to receive full £25 free bet. Qualifying bet must be placed within 30 days of opening account. Cashed out bets will not qualify towards your average stake. One free bet offer per customer, household or IP address only. Free bet expires after 7 days. Payment method restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.**18+. Opt in. UK/IRE customers only. Max refund £/€20. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/antepost bets don't qualify. T&Cs apply
New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. Geo Restrictions. Additional terms for existing BetVictor customers apply. T&Cs Apply, see below. 18+ begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly
Key Terms: Valid for new UK customers who have registered from 31/03/2020. Deposit using code SNWEL125. Valid once per customer. Bonus expires after 90 days. 6x turnover at 1.7 minimum odds before withdrawal. Max contribution to turnover requirements per bet is £100. Multiple bets on the same market do not qualify.
New customers only • £10 deposit using promo code • Minimum stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) • Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free bet stakes not included in returns • Deposit balance is available for withdrawal at any time. withdrawal restrictions & full T&C’s apply
New online customers only, min £10/€10 stake, win only, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 3 X £10/€10, 30 day expiry, free bet/payment method/player/country restrictions apply.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit,: £10, max £10 free bet valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at odds of 1/1 or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.
Ante Post Special!
18+. UK&IRE only. Online & Phone. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets, valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions apply. Double Winnings applies to the first real money single bet of £1+ win or each-way from 8am 27/02 on the 1.20 Cheltenham each day. Max £25. Stake restrictions may apply. T&Cs Apply.
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way. Terms apply
New customers only. Min deposit £20 (UK debit cards only). Bet £10 at odds of evens (2.0) or greater. Multiple bets with cumulative odds of evens (2.0) count, each leg must have odds of 1/5 (1.2) to be eligible. Each way bets are not eligible for this promotion. Upon qualifying bet settlement receive 4x £5.00 Free Bets. Valid for 7 days, each free bet must be used in its entirety. Payment method restrictions & T&Cs apply.
#ad. New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus. Wagering requirements: Sportsbook 3x at min odds of 1.40 (2/5), 25x for Casino. £10 casino bonus credited next working day; 35x wagering on casino. Only one bonus can be used at a time, Sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the Casino, unless the bonus has been forfeited. Bonus will expire after 7 days of opt-in.
New customer only, max one £10 free bet, qualifying bets must be placed at odds of 2.0(1/1) or greater, paid as bonus token with min odds reg, T&C Apply.
Antepost Key Runners & Favourites
Traders at all major betting firms have gone up with their early thoughts on the Ballymore Novices Hurdle. This gives backers the chance to support their runner of choice early in the hope their pick will run in the race and become 2021 champion, landing them a handsome profit.
Generally, the earlier you bet on an antepost market at the Cheltenham Festival the bigger the available price will be. This is because you are showing your hand early and jumping the queue, taking a risk before the final field has been decided. A great way to get more for your stake but other players prefer to wait until closer to the off to ensure their selection is confirmed in the final race field and this is a shrewd approach.
Keep your eye out for the popular non-runner no bet promotion which promises to refund your stake if your preferred horse doesn’t run in the race you backed it to win. Without the NRMB promo, if connections enter it into a different race or choose to bypass the festival entirely, you would lose your cash without ever getting a run for your money. Also, numerous Cheltenham free bet offers definitely deserve your attention.
It is still very early in the build up to the 2021 Ballymore Novices Hurdle and the Cheltenham Festival but let’s take a loolk at the current betting and pick out any value that exists amongst the antepost favourites. The deal here is to look for any major differences of opinion that exists on the same horse between traders at different bookmakers.
The Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle, registered as the Baring Bingham Novices’ Hurdle, has a hugely competitive look to it this year. There are three horses towards the head of the betting with previous Grade 1 successes under their belts who look set to battle it out for the spoils at the Cheltenham:
Gaillard Du Mesnil (100/30)
Irish trainer Willie Mullins has won this race a record four times and has the rapidly progressive Gaillard Du Mesnil as ante post favourite to add to that tally. A typical French import to the stable, he relished stepping up in trip from a two-mile maiden hurdle to the highest level at the Dublin Racing Festival and ran out a ready winner over two-and-three-quarter miles. As Gaillard Du Mesnil doesn’t hold an entry in the Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle and supplementing him for that looks unlikely, he is a leading fancy in the Ballymore Novices Hurdle betting for a hat-trick.
Believe it or not, Paul Nicholls has never trained the winner of the Baring Bingham Novices’ Hurdle before. The Ditcheat maestro could well change that this season with Bravemansgame, however. A leading British contender for the race this year, Nicholls compared him to past yard great Denman after he emulated that legendary horse by winning the Challow Novices’ Hurdle at Newbury over the festive period. That punched a ticket to Cheltenham for Bravemansgame and, although he still has quite some billing to live up to, he looks more than capable of justifying his handler’s faith by following-up in this contest.
Bob Olinger (5/1)
Henry De Bromhead is also searching for a maiden victory in this race, and Bob Olinger won the same prep race as Envoi Allen did en route to Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle glory last season. That was the Lawlor’s of Naas Novices’ Hurdle in January. Bob Olinger bested Blue Lord, who has since run well as a staying on third when dropped back in trip at the Dublin Racing Festival. Only last year’s Champion Bumper winner Ferny Hollow, who sadly misses Cheltenham due to injury this time around, has been too good for him in his career to date. Bob Olinger clearly has a hand to play here, which is reflected in the Ballymore Novices Hurdle betting and the odds on offer.
Check out our Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide for the list of TOP 15 betting sites to place a bet on upcoming Festival.
Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle 2021 Entries
There are 120 early closing entries for the Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle this year. More than half of those (65) are trained in Ireland. A maximum field of 22 is allowed to run in the race. Here is the list of potential runners for the Ballymore Novices Hurdle 2021 in full:
Open to see a full list (120 entries)
- Adrimel (Tom Lacey)
- Alko Rouge (Thomas Gibney, IRE)
- Alright Sunshine (Keith Dalgleish)
- Annual Invictus (Chris Gordon)
- Any News (Neil Mulholland)
- Appreciate It (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Ashdale Bob (Jessica Harrington, IRE)
- Ashtown Lad (Dan Skelton)
- Ballyadam (Gordon Elliott, IRE)
- Ballybegg (Kerry Lee)
- Bear Ghylls (Nicky Martin)
- Benson (Dr Richard Newland)
- Blue Lord (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Bob Olinger (Henry De Bromhead, IRE)
- Boothill (Harry Fry)
- Bothwell Bridge (Nicky Henderson)
- Bravemansgame (Paul Nicholls)
- Brazos (John Joseph Murphy, IRE)
- Cape Gentleman (Emmet Mullins, IRE)
- Capodanno (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Captain Kangaroo (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Captain Morgs (Nicky Henderson)
- Cascova (Nicky Henderson)
- Cask Mate (Noel Meade, IRE)
- Castle Robin (Charlie Longsdon)
- Champagne Gold (Henry De Bromhead, IRE)
- Champagnesuperover (Olly Murphy)
- Commandingpresence (Henry De Bromhead, IRE)
- Crosshill (Jessica Harrington, IRE)
- Does He Know (Kim Bailey)
- Dreal Deal (Ronan McNally, IRE)
- Eden Flight (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- El Barra (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Enemy Coast Ahead (Olly Murphy)
- Eskylane (Gordon Elliott, IRE)
- Eurotiep (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Fais Ton Chemin (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Fakiera (Gordon Elliott, IRE)
- Farouk D’Alene (Gordon Elliott, IRE)
- Fifty Ball (Gary Moore)
- Fighter Allen (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Fly Smart (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Frere Tuck (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Fun Light (Joseph O’Brien, IRE)
- Gabynako (Gavin Cromwell, IRE)
- Gaillard Du Mesnil (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Gallyhill (Nicky Henderson)
- Galopin Des Champs (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Ganapathi (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Gentleman De Mee (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Gentlemansgame (Mouse Morris, IRE)
- Get My Drift (Mouse Morris, IRE)
- Gorki D’Airy (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Grand Bornard (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Grumpy Charley (Chris Honour)
- Heather Rocco (Henry De Bromhead, IRE)
- Here Comes Johny (Olly Murphy)
- Hoi Polloi (Emma Lavelle)
- Holymacapony (Henry De Bromhead, IRE)
- Indiana Jones (Mouse Morris, IRE)
- Interconnected (Dan Skelton)
- Irish Poseidon (Matthew Smith, IRE)
- Jungle Boogie (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Kalkas (Henry De Bromhead, IRE)
- Keskonrisk (Joseph O’Brien, IRE)
- Khan (Milton Harris)
- Killer Kane (Colin Tizzard)
- Lost Royal (Keiran Burke)
- Lecale’s Article (Nicky Henderson)
- Limestone Rock (Mouse Morris, IRE)
- Lord Accord (Neil Mulholland)
- Lord Of Kerak (Olly Murphy)
- Mahler Allstar (Jonathan Sweeney, IRE)
- Make Me A Believer (David Pipe)
- M C Muldoon (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Metier (Harry Fry)
- Micro Manage (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Mint Condition (Jennie Candish)
- My Drogo (Dan Skelton)
- N’Golo (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- No Ordinary Joe (Nicky Henderson)
- No Risk Des Flos (Olly Murphy)
- Numbers Man (Colin Tizzard)
- One True King (Nigel Twiston-Davies)
- Optimise Prime (Ben Pauling)
- Oscar Elite (Colin Tizzard)
- Patroclus (Nicky Henderson)
- Petibonome (Henry De Bromhead, IRE)
- Pipesmoker (Nicky Henderson)
- Power Of Pause (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Rayapour (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Road Senam (Colin Tizzard)
- Saint Turgeon (Davide Satalia, FR)
- Severance (Ben Pauling)
- Shadow Rider (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Shakem Up’Arry (Ben Pauling)
- Solwara One (Neil Mulholland)
- Stattler (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Stellar Magic (Philip Hobbs)
- Stoner’s Choice (Fergal O’Brien)
- Straw Fan Jack (Sheila Lewis)
- Threeunderthrufive (Paul Nicholls)
- Tile Tapper (Chris Honour)
- Torn And Frayed (Nigel Twiston-Davies)
- Uhtred (Joseph O’Brien, IRE)
- Valsheda (Nicky Henderson)
- Visionarian (Peter Fahey, IRE)
- Wide Receiver (Gordon Elliott, IRE)
- Wilde About Oscar (Dan Skelton)
- Witness Protection (Martin Keighley)
- Atlantic Fairy (Henry De Bromhead, IRE) *
- Brave Way (Henry De Bromhead, IRE) *
- Finest Evermore (Willie Mullins, IRE) *
- Manitopark AA (Willie Mullins, IRE) *
- Mighty Blue (Joseph O’Brien, IRE) *
- Royal Illusion (Willie Mullins, IRE) *
- Telmesomethinggirl (Henry De Bromhead, IRE) *
- The West Awaits (Willie Mullins, IRE) *
- Duffle Coat (Gordon Elliott, IRE) 4
- Saint Sam (Willie Mullins, IRE) 4
* Receives a 7lb sex allowance as a mare
4 Receives 8lb weight for age as a four-year-old
Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle 2021 Betting Offers (Updated: February 2021)
Cheltenham Day 4 Extra Places:
- 13:55 Cheltenham - 6 places at 1/5 (enhanced from 4 places at 1/4). Min 20 horses must run.
- 14:30 Cheltenham - 4 places at 1/5 (enhanced from 3 places at 1/5). Min 12 horses must run.
- 15:05 Cheltenham - 4 places at 1/5 (enhanced from 3 places at 1/5). Min 11 horses must run.
- 15:40 Cheltenham - 4 places at 1/5 (enhanced from 3 places at 1/5). Min 12 horses must run.
- 16:15 Cheltenham - 5 places at 1/5 (enhanced from 4 places at 1/4). Min 16 horses must run.
Available from 15:00 on Thursday 18th March
18+. Selected races only. Standard place terms apply should minimum runner requirements not be met. Online only. Normal Ladbrokes Terms and Conditions apply. PLEASE BET RESPONSIBLY. begambleaware.org.
PLUS BET £5 GET 20 FOR NEW CUSTOMERS
Welcome offer t&cs: 18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply,
T&Cs: UK & Irish and selected International horse racing only. Doesn’t apply to bets placed with free bets, ante-post bets, Tote bets or Lucky 15s, 31s and 63s bets. Available on bets placed after 08:00 on the day of the race. Full T&Cs Apply.
Race Stats & Trends
- The leading jockey in this race at present is Ruby Walsh and it’s unlikely he will lose his position anytime soon. The fans favourite rider has won this race four times in the past between 2008 and 2016. He finally got off the mark with Fiveforthree in 2008 before doubling up a year later when Mikael d’Haguenet came good in 2009. Ruby Walsh was again on the winner thanks to Faugheen in 2014 and was last seen in the winner’s enclosure with Yorkhill in 2016.
- Leading trainer in the Ballymore Novices Hurdle is Willie Mullins and that will come as no surprise to followers of the Cheltenham Festival. Mullins banked his first title with Fiveforthree in 2008 and scored for a second time thanks to Mikael d’Hagunet. Faugheen and Yorkhill make up the spare two wins. Ruby Walsh and Willie Mullins have an exceptional record in this race.
- Horses aged six years old at the time of entering show real form in this race. City Island was a six-year-old and that age was shared by each of the last six champions and eight of the nine most recent champions.
Ballymore Novices Hurdle Betting Guide
Enjoy Perks of Antepost Market
Antepost betting exists on the Ballymore Novices Hurdle and it offers great prices on each runner in the field. The reason for that is every horse quoted won’t make the final line-up and if you back a horse to win the race and it doesn’t enter, you lose your money. When betting on antepost you must weigh up the risk vs the reward. If you are confident your pick will run in the Ballymore Novices Hurdle, then it’s advisable to get on sooner rather than later. You will also find a few Ballymore Novices Hurdle tips with more available after the final declarations stage. Follow an expert tipster giving Ballymore Novices Hurdler 2021 tips or do your own research.
Get Access to Live Streaming
Live betting and live streaming is offered by major bookmakers on all UK and Irish horse racing and that coverage will extend to the 2021 Cheltenham Festival. Back a horse and you will be able to watch it run through an HD quality live streaming service that also offers expert commentary and in-play betting odds. All this comes free of charge to registered members, but most bookies have a condition in place that says you must place a bet before being given access to the live coverage.
Look For Better Odds
Below you’ll find a table of the top bookmakers and their offers. This will be updated with the best and most generous offers. Check back to see which firms are offering the standout Cheltenham Festival sign up promotion.
Ballymore Novices Hurdle Past Winners
Last 10 Ballymore Novices Hurdle winners:
- Envoi Allen – 2020
- City Island – 2019
- Samcro – 2018
- Willoughby Court – 2017
- Yorkhill – 2016
- Windsor Park – 2015
- Faugheen – 2014
- The New One – 2013
- Simonsig – 2012
- First Lieutenant – 2011
- Peddlers Cross – 2010
What happened in the Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle 2020?
Winner: Envoi Allen
The horse racing world is very much the oyster of Envoi Allen, who justified his status as the Irish banker of the 2020 Cheltenham Festival with success at an odds-on price of 4/7 in the 2m 5f Grade 1 Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle.
Trained by Gordon Elliott for owners Cheveley Park Stud, the six-year-old looked trapped in a pocket at one stage during the race, but jockey Davy Russell soon angled him out with work to do and the pair found themselves some six lengths off the pace rounding the home bend. Envoi Allen closed quickly, however, to lead approaching the last and ran on to score by 4 1/4 lengths from each-way gamble Easywork for owners Gigginstown House Stud and trainer Henry De Bromhead who was backed into a starting price of 12/1.
The Big Getaway made most of the running but was beaten a further 3 3/4 lengths in third for Willie Mullins. Envoi Allen had his rivals well strung out at the line and the big question is where will he go from here? After success in the Champion Bumper here in 2019, he is already a dual Cheltenham Festival winner and one Irish horse that it will obviously pay to follow for future assignments.
Regular pilot Russell would not comment on future plans, but bookmakers have already priced up possibilities for next year. If he remains over hurdles, then Envoi Allen is a first-show 10/1 for the 2021 Champion Hurdle. Alternatively, he could be sent chasing by connections. Dropping back in trip for the Arkle is an option in that eventuality, so Envoi Allen is 14/1 for that. He is also the 6/1 favourite for the Marsh Novices’ Chase over the middle distance of 2m 4f.
What Happened in 2019?
The Ballymore Novices Hurdle results show City Island won the 2019 version of this race with Mark Walsh in the saddle. That was the bay gelding’s standout result to date, but it was fully deserved. Sent off as an SP 8/1 shot that day, City Island beat runner up Champ by two lengths after putting in a near perfect performance. The victor was held back in the pack during the early exchanges but struggled for racing room at the business end of the race.
He eventually found a way through and delivered a charge for the line that saw him lead turning for home. He possessed the turn of foot and fitness needed to pull away from his main rivals that day and stay on for the prize. Champ was well beaten in second for Barry Geraghty and we had Bright Forecast another 2 ¼ lengths behind in third at a stunning 25/1 to put a smile on the faces of those who backed him each-way. He ran a fair race but made no real impression on the two ahead.
Ballymore Novices Hurdle Key Trials
Followers of the National Hunt horse racing season will notice a number of Cheltenham Festival trial races late in 2020 and early into 2021. The results of these will be important when it comes to backing your winner of the Ballymore Hurdle. The list below will be updated with key trials results, times and other useful information.
Upcoming Ballymore Novices Hurdle Trials
- Ballymore Novices Hurdle Trial (Cheltenham trials day) – 25th January 2020